top of page

Zoning & Permits

Thank you for considering Clay County as a great place to locate your business. Clay County has three industrial parks: the Clay Center North Industrial Park, the Clay Center Industrial Park by the airport, and the Wakefield Industrial Park.

Browse the database of available industrial, commercial and vacant building space. If you don’t find what you are looking for, there are also private sales of other locations for business, commercial, and industrial sites. Contact our office for more information.
Building Regulations
Building and remodeling within Clay Center city limits requires an application for a building permit and must meet building codes and regulations.
Wakefield requirements include a building permit, zoning regulations, and other forms.
Clifton, Green, and Longford each have their own building permits.

To build or remodel in Clay County outside of the city limits listed above, a building permit application must be submitted to the County Appraisers office. A special use permit application is also available.
The Clay County Zoning and Master Plan, Sanitary Code, and Land Use Plan, outline building and site requirements. If rezoning is needed, rezoning fees may apply.
Clay Center
Clay Center requires electrician and plumber permits and their Code book outlines the business regulations for businesses such as solicitors, canvassers, peddlers, recycling, junk dealers, coin operated amusement devices, tree trimming, firearms, etc.

Wakefield requires any work done in the City of Wakefield be done by a licensed tradesman. Tradesman must show block score and certificate of liability insurance. Fee is $50 per trade and is valid for the calendar year.
Brownfields Program
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s Brownfields Program typically works with government municipalities (i.e., City, County, not-for-profit) to assess properties for contamination such as fertilizer plants, gas stations, and dry cleaners as well as lead based paint and asbestos. However, a privately owned property may be eligible for funding if the applicant is one of the above-mentioned entities, or if one of the entities writes a letter of support for the project.

Stormwater Permits
KDHE has three types of stormwater permits including construction, on-going industrial needs, and Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System.

bottom of page